We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Egyptian Minister of Antiquities Mamdouh Eldamaty announced the discovery of two 4,000-year-old pieces which were found by Polish archaeologists in the temple of Serapis, on the coast of the Red Sea, near the port of Berenice.
The pieces belong to Middle kingdom (2050-1750 BC) and at Second Intermediate Period (1650-1550 BC), times that followed before the construction of the temple.
One of the pieces is an ornate stele with the name of the pharaoh Amenemhat IV, the seventh pharaoh of the twelfth dynasty, whose kingdom was characterized by the expeditions in search of turquoise and amethysts. The other piece found, somewhat more damaged, will need restoration.
Archaeologists have also found rock blocks, which served as the basis for the statues of the temple. Other findings by the team include three burials from Roman times, as well as parts of the facade of the Serapis temple.
The mission of the Polish scientists, after analyzing the area by satellite photographs, has put on the table the existence of a new archaeological site near the port of Berenice.
The port of Berenice was founded at the beginning of the 3rd century by Ptolemy II, which organized campaigns on the East African coast to capture elephants for use in battles.